Here's an early photo of an OutRun Deluxe cabinet. [source]
If you look closely at the screen, you will spot that there are a number of differences from the released version. This must be running an early prototype version of the game.
- Timer is using the font from Space Harrier. This font is in the OutRun ROMs but not used anywhere. Now we know it was used in an earlier prototype version.
- Sign art is different in a number of places from release.
- Debug information above speed on left hand side.
- No rev counter
- kp/h graphic is different
- No route map
This Space Harrier also has some differences from the released version:
- A step built into the base at the front which was later removed.
- The side art is different; the underbelly of the dragon and his hair are orange on this version and yellow on the final art.
- Different instructions & warning stickers,
- Sega logo size on the rear panel and title screen